[Malvern] Micro Server Fedora 4 install

Steve Cashmore mlug at cashmore.me.uk
Wed Jan 11 11:58:00 GMT 2006

Hello all,

Since Geoff expressed an interest I thought I'd let you know how things
went.

Well I decided to try and install a minimum Fedora onto the micro server
earlier this week, and decided to do it differently this time from the
previous ftp installs.  The CPU card  (it was originally a small
industrial PC) has a header claiming a very early form of USB support
and I decided to try and get it working.  I made up an adapter to
connect a USB DVD recorder and tried all the pre-compiled USB drivers I
had.  Nothing seemed to work so I dug out the chipset data sheets.  The
chipset was obviously a preliminary version of later work, but had a
couple of small register differences.  I modified the source and rather
to my surprise managed to get it working!

The BIOS is much too early to know how to boot from a USB device so I
needed to find another way to try installing from the DVD.
I loaded up a version of TomsRootBoot floppy with my new USB driver and
partitioned & formatted the new harddisk and installed the driver.  I
could now find the DVDrecorder so loop mounted the Fedora boot.iso and
copied the kernel and initrd files together with the startup scripts to
a folder on the hard disk.
Next I unpacked and loop mounted the Fedora initrd and added my USB
driver before repacking.
Then I inserted my standard GRUB boot floppy, rebooted, and entered the
boot time command line.  I typed the locations of the Fedora boot files
and told it to boot.  Up came Fedora into a standard install mode and it
found my USB DVD drive.  I chose a minimum install and left it to do its
work.

Most things worked after a reboot and I just needed to manually add my
USB driver to get a working DVD drive.  Fedora didn't find and configure
the two NICs, but they're standard old 3c509s so it was just a question
of loading the driver and invoking the configure script.
It's been an interesting exercise but I may have to rethink things.  The
problem is the amount of memory (actually 64Mb not 32 as I first
reported).  I can't add any more, have trimmed every service I don't
need but am already into swap.  That's without adding the Cyrus IMAP,
Apache and IPSEC servers.  I'll build a custom kernel to see if that
helps, but currently it looks as if the jump to a 2.6 kernel may be a
step too far.  The old 2.4 kernel system used 58Mb with everything I
need installed and running.

Firing up Yum is an extremely painful slow exercise so I no longer
bother.  Just calling rpm is much quicker for simple package management
if not actually easier.

I fell foul of the increased security (SELinux component and new to me)
and took some time before I could telnet in.  I often use telnet from a
piece of industrial equipment that can't do ssh.  The error message was
misleading and initially I thought the problem was the client and not
the server.  Both  Selinux and the default firewall were blocking telnet
but there was no info in the logs.  Also the BIND and DHCPD servers
complained on starting and panicked.  I needed to adjust the config
files to account for some new functionality.  Samba wouldn't run either
until I replaced my config file with the default (almost empty) one.
Removing it and reinstalling Samba seemed to fix it though, even with my
own config file.  I suspect the problem started during a Yum update.

So there we are - a partial success.  I always enjoyed trying to get a
quart out of a pint pot!
--
Steve