[Malvern] NVidia cards.

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Tue Jan 24 22:33:16 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 04:34:51PM +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:

> Does any of you use an NVidia GeForce MX/MX400 video card with Debian
> GNU/Linux ?
>
> I have fitted another hard drive /dev/hdb to my wife's computer (which
> runs Windows 98 on  drive C:  )
> I have so far been able to get Debian Sarge to run the X-Window.
> Everything else is OK.
>
> If I load SuSE the card  works with what they call a "dummy" driver
> giving partial capability.
> I have another video card,  using SiS6326,  but If I install that, then
> I don't have Windows driver !
>
> Any suggestions ?

Install Debian and set the graphics card type to NV or download the drivers
from the nvidia website and use that.  I've been using a nvidia card up
until last week when I changed it for an ATI Radeon with dual outputs, which
I'm yet to do anything about getting working but I know it can be done.

One of my other laptops has a nvidia card too.  You shouldn't really have
any trouble getting it going with Woody or Sarge.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR