[Malvern] Gigs

Barbie barbie at missbarbell.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 16:55:13 BST 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 02:49:52PM +0100, GEOFF BAGLEY wrote:
> Within the limits of my own narrow experience, Perl is
> just another language, particularly aimed at
> scripting.
>
> It appears though to be a particularly interesting
> one, and maybe accounts for its popularity and the
> various associated gigs which derive from it such as
> YAPC and various "mongers" groups.
>
> Is this really a kind of social filter, separating the
> Linux cognoscente from (say) the AOL users ? Do the
> Perl-mongers overlap the Linux fraternity, or are they
> contained within it?

The Birmingham Perl Mongers mostly are Linux hackers, but some are also
Windows/BSD/Mac OSX/Tru 64 hackers too. Virtually all of us have a
Unix/Linux background though.

Perl is just another scripting language, but speaking personally I find
it more enjoyable than others I've tried. Plus with the accessibility
and availablity of the code repository that is CPAN, it means I can
usually get the job done a lot quicker than I could with other
languages.

As for being a filter, I think you'll find more people from AOL land
finding LUG groups than Perl Mongers groups, simply because there are
more LUG groups. The Perl Mongers groups seem to get those that actually
ask intelligent questions.

> I am tempted to leap on board !

Feel free to come along and get a taste of you can do. The technical
meeting this week isn't all Perl anyway, as we do encourage Open Source
talks too. Shane will be talking about PGP/GPG stuff in his talk.

Cheers,
Barbie.
--
http://birmingham.pm.org