[Malvern] Upgrading the Kernel.

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Wed Mar 8 21:04:31 GMT 2006

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 08:59:09PM +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:

> We half-way (I hear) through the period when Etch will replace Sarge.
> Etch will no longer support the 2.4.x  kernel. I guess I should be
> thinking about upgrade.
> How can I upgrade the kernel whilst the current one is actually in use ?

Just install the new kernel image and reboot.  apt will take care of
everything for you.  Try

  apt-get install kernel-image-2.6

which will give you a list of candidate kernel images.  Pick one which
matches your hardware and explicitly apt-get it using something like

  apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8-k7

and all will be well.  apt will update your grub menu and install any kernel
modules or utils which'd need updating.

> It sounds to me like a complete re-install !

Not at all.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR