FW: [Malvern] Video Networking

Ian Pascoe ianpascoe at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 18 22:08:14 GMT 2006

Chris / Rik

Thanks for your replies guys.

OK, so looking at a 10 base T network running at 10mb, to get a fully
un-compressed data stream from a DVD file would totally engulf the network
at one extreme, or looking at the average data rate still only allow one
data stream to be viewed; ie average rate of 6-7 Mb would require a minimum
bandwidth of 12Mb to view 2 data streams.  Or am I missing something
fundemental in the way networks work?

Taking it to the next level of a 100 base T network with a bandwidth of
100Mb this would give the potential of about 15 data simultaneous streams
with a bit of bandwidth left over.  In this case if everything was sourced
from one server and one HD would you then run into problems with the amount
of data that could be read off the HD to provide these data streams.  I know
that for instance you could get around this by dumping the file into memory
and streaming it from there but keeping it simple with the assumption that
what comes off of the HD goes straight out into the network.

Sorry about keeping on with this but it niggles!

Ian