FW: [Malvern] Pc vs Routers

Graham grhm at mythic-beasts.com
Sat Nov 4 19:43:55 GMT 2006

Stuart Parkington wrote:
> Ian Pascoe wrote:
>> Is there any reason why you couldn't or shouldn't use a laptop as
>> your PC
>> router / firewall combi?
>
> Apart from the fact that it would be more difficult to add multiple
> network cards (i.e. having to use USB or PCMCIA devices) being that
> laptops generally only have a single in built card, I guess not.
>
> Most laptops I've had seem to have 'run hot' after a few hours which
> would concern me too, but that is a sweeping generalization! :)
I used to run a firewall on an old laptop.  I had to use a PCMCIA device
to get the two interfaces, but it worked well and was very quiet too.

I also found the built in UPS handy.  Leave it plugged into the mains
and set to shutdown cleanly if it switched to battery power.

However, it died a couple of summers ago as the cupboard under the
stairs got too hot and the laptop cooked itself.

Cheers,
Graham