[Malvern] Ubuntu and Debian.

Zeth Green theology at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 07:55:41 GMT 2006

On 25/11/06, Keith Edmunds <keith at midnighthax.com> wrote:
> The way I would do it would be to backup /etc plus
> any user data needed (and backup part or all of /var if you have
> settings in there that are needed, such as Samba passwords), and save

I have before converted an Ubuntu machine to a Gentoo one without
turning it off by setting up the new system using a chroot, then going
down to the basic runlevel and then destroying the main system, kind
of like the chest burster in Alien. Before the graphical CD came out,
this was a more comfortable way of installing Gentoo when you only had
one machine available.

The problem for doing it with Ubuntu is the graphical installer, if
you can live without that and find the files you need then it is
possible, however:

>Why do you want to do this?

Just backup your data and start again.