[Malvern] Printing "banners".

Andy Morris zaglabod at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 5 11:27:21 BST 2006

Geoff,

"stdin" = standard in
"stdout" = standard out
"stderr" = standard error

These are the three basic process routings in Unix type systems.
Standard In is the data route into a process, Standard Out is the data
route out of a process, Standard Error speaks for itself. You use them
to route any data or error messages to where you want. The "pipe" symbol
links "stdout" from one process into the "stdin" of the next, for
instance, hence you acre creating a "data pipe".

My guess would be that the process receiving the printer data from
Mozilla is generating a banner. Is the printer local to Hafren, or
remote (standalone or processor)? If the latter, then it could be that a
network transport utility is set to add a banner, to identify the source
processor on a "network printing" job, rather than Mozilla actually
adding the banner. Mozilla may not explicitly disable this, where KDE
can do (on behalf of all it's components).

Andy