[Malvern] That rotating cube.

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Fri Oct 6 18:02:34 BST 2006

Geoff

You get Linux Magazine don't you?

There is a good write up on the differences between AIGLX and XGL in
issue 68. Also read the Wikipedia articles on AIGLX, XGL and Compiz.

Basically, AIGLX and XGL are two competing[1] X servers that offer
roughly similar capabilities of allowing openGL effects on the desktop.
To make use of this you need a suitably equipped window manager, the
correct phrase is "compositing window manager" and an example is compiz.

Neither of these are a specifically a gnome thing or a kde thing AFAIK.
Though there are projects to create closer integration.

The 'cube' thing, by the way is called the 'cube' plugin and is a
default part of Compiz.

I don't have anything like this set up (yet) because I have an Nvidia
graphics card and the necessary feature has only just reached the beta
drivers.

Cheers

Rick

[1] In the sense that they both do similar things, rather than in the
'ours is better than yours' sense.