[Malvern] OT: Networking advice please.

Darren Beale bealers at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 13:07:10 BST 2006

Hello,

I got the keys to my office a few minutes ago and found that the
previous* tenants had a wall mountable data cabinet which is standard
rack width and there are network points all over the room, great!

However they cut the wires off at the cabinet end and took the patch
panel with them, not bothering to leave the numbers on the cables, not
so great.

So, first off does anyone have a patch panel that they don't need? I
can obv buy one on eBay or elsewhere but ideally I want one _today_,
have car will travel etc and I can of course pay.

Secondly I'm after some advice as to the best way of wiring this up.

I have here in one of my might-come-in-useful-one-day boxes a bag full
of RJ45 plugs, a crimper and one of those network cable testing tools.
I was thinking that if I cannot get a patch panel I could simply place
a plug on each of the cut wires plus plug a standard patch lead into
the wall, pop the network cable testing tool on each end and see if
it's wired properly, should that work?

Something along the lines of:

| --- Tester bit A ---| -- (standard patch lead) -- | ----- Wall point
---- | -------(cable in wall) ---- | Newly wired RJ45 plug  or patch
panel if I can get one | ---- Tester bit B ----|

Assuming no patch panel how do I wire up the cabinet end of the wire?
Pass through just like a patch cable?

Thanks

*previous previous actually

--