[Malvern] sorry - wireless again

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Tue Sep 12 17:08:04 BST 2006

Have you considered a cheapest of the cheap wireless router that you
could plug into your PC. That way you'd have

Box 1 (where cables cannot go to)
	ADSL in
	Wireless out

Box 2 (sat near PC)
	Wireless in
	Ethernet out

Box 3 (PC)
	Ethernet in
	Words and pictures out

Would cost approx a curry night with us more than a PCI card version.

Before I got broadband I used an ADSL wireless router at home to mess
around with wi-fi. I went from the PC to the router, then wirelessly
onto my PDA with an 802.11b compact flash card. Reasonable fun was had
NFS mounting my entire ripped music collection so my PDA thought it had
~30GB internal storage. Schweeet. Unfortunately wireless range was worse
than loudspeaker range so it wasn't that clever really.

The PC side of my setup was essentially doing the same thing.

I must responsibly warn you that when you get it working you must make
sure you use WPA(2) with a completely non-dictionary password.

Cheers

Rick

Cheryl Phillips wrote:
> Hopefully my sanity will be saved soon!