[Malvern] Dowsing

Guy Inchbald guy at steelpillow.com
Sun Sep 24 16:03:02 BST 2006

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 17:38:58, Phil Ironside <phil at creativespaces.co.uk>
wrote:
>Yo
>
>This is an interesting article
>
>http://www.tricksterbook.com/ArticlesOnline/Dowsing.htm
>
>Especially the bit about blind folding and stuffing cotton wool in the
>ears of the participants.

Hi all, 'fraid I've been doing other things lately. (Anybody know a neat
way to re-scan my mouse say every second, so I can use my KVM with
Ubuntu?)

Anyway, a neighbour of mine did some extensive research into dowsing
many years ago, and came up with a novel explanation. Sadly he is a bit
dyslexic, especially with numbers and equations, so has never been able
to become a "respectable" professional, and I know of no write-up of his
work.

None of his work was subject to double-blind design or other rigorous
checks, but even so I find it all most convincing.

First he learned to dowse reliable, using L rods. Soon after he moved
into our neighbourhood he found a ley in our back field. On the map, it
aligned with a variety of local archaeological and historical sites.
Makes sense: call the local druid and ask him where to build a mill or a
ferry crossing or whatever. he trots along the riverbank (or wherever)
and when he dowses the ley he sacrifices a chicken and that is where you
build. And that was what Tony found.

So then he set up experiments to check out all the magnetic and RF stuff
and soon discarded it all as rubbish.

It then occurred to him that there is a large electrostatic potential
between ground and sky. This is clearly affected by underground water,
trees, power lines, and other stuff - stuff that dowsers typically
detect.

We may speculate that ambient electrostatic effects had never been
studied before because they do not appear in the usual "magnetic" and
"higher-frequency" obsessions of the typical psi researcher.

He built a vertical electrostatic field generator with an overhead
electrode that he could walk under, and found that he could dowse it
reliably when blindfold. Below ambient field strength his rods went one
way, above the ambient field they went the other. Fascinatingly, when he
the overhead electrode was tuned by an assistant to give the ambient
field strength, it "camouflaged" itself against the sky and he could no
longer dowse it.

So how come experiments with magnetic fields have gained so much
mileage, often giving positive results? Well, notice that the positive
results are generally associated with *changing* field strength. James
Clerk Maxwell's famous equations tell us that where there is a changing
magnetic field there is also a changing electric field, and vice versa.

All the significant anomalies appear to be consistent with the notion
that what the dowser actually responds to is changes in the vertical
electrostatic field between ground and sky. Some physiological research
has been carried out into our sensitivity to such electrostatic fields,
but very little. Tony tells me that it supports his ideas but I have not
dug it out for myself.

Finally, what about ley lines? Again, theories based on the magnetic
fields generated by Earth currents meeting geological faults have been
partially backed-up by experiment, and partially contradicted. Now,
consider that the dowser is picking up the changing electric potentials
caused by the changing magnetic fields, in turn caused by the changing
current direction and density, and again the anomalies vanish. Leys are
indeed just geological fault lines - at least, the one in our back field
is.

Anyway, make of that what you will. Must dash.

--
Cheers,
Guy