[Malvern] Redhat for Debian users

Darren Beale bealers at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 15:04:23 BST 2006

Hi

Long story short: It looks like I've just been landed with the task of
configuring a Redhat machine so it's ready to serve production web
pages. FWIW I don't have physical access to the machine (if I did I'd
put Sarge on it)

I'll need to compile PHP with zillions of modules and in my experience
this'll mean tonnes of dependencies. Normally this is no problem as
I'll just run apt-get a few times if somethng is missing but with RH
I'm lost.

Can anyone give me a few pointers please?

cat /etc/redhat-release gives
"CentOS release 4.4 (Final)"

Here's a good starting point!

[root at unassigned ~]# which gcc
/usr/bin/which: no gcc in
(/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin)

To be clear: I know *how* to compile software, I've done it loads of
times. What I don't know is how to use RH to give me a system where
99% of the binaries are installed via a package manager that manages
dependencies. Ideally 100% would be packages but PHP will need some
tweaking.

Thanks in advance.

--
Darren Beale