[Malvern] FW: Linux Migration - Mail Clients

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Thu Sep 28 21:42:17 BST 2006

Ian

You can get some windows programs that can read ext2/3 partitions. I've
used a couple over the years and while they were a bit funny to get
going they did work. What I mean by that is that they required you to go
through a mounting stage each time (very non windows in style) or used a
non-standard file manager type program to read the drive. Can't remember
any names but google will help.
Don't let that put you off though, they did work. As with Linux reading
NTFS, reading is better than writing.

.pst files
Ahhhhh, you want to dual boot and use the same actual mail store files
on both OSs. That would be quite hard[1] and I can't think of an easy way.
Either suck it and see, as in just use one OS for email. Or find a spare
machine and run a local IMAP server, then access all your email over the
home LAN.
Or, part 2. Have one half of the dual boot (or the second machine) set
to not remove emails from the server. That way both machines have access
to your mail, but one of them (the deleter) is the definitive email
store (ie the one you take backups of [2]). It means you store two
copies but lets you get a feel for things before you switch over. I use
this method if I swap mail clients.

I'm reminded of a write up I saw once which explained how to use the
same swap space in linux and windows. Very handy before hard drives
became huge. My swap space is certainly larger than my mail archive.

Cheers

Rick

[1] and therefore challenging and fun. I wouldn't try it without keeping
a second store of my emails so it kind of defeats the space saving
approach. Actually I wouldn't try it at all, filthy windows, all tricksy
  likes the hobbitses.

[2] You do take backups right?