[Malvern] Stop random rebooting

Darren Beale bealers at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 14:02:21 BST 2007

Hi,

I've a cheapy root server with 1&1, it's about a year old. When I got
it I immediately re-imaged it to rip off all the crappy control panel
stuff so it's a pretty basic debian (woody) install with webby stuff
like php/mysql/apache on plus bind.

Anyhoo, recently I started backing up a particular folder by
initiating a remote rsync process from another server. The issue I'm
getting is that the machine reboots after around 1/2 gig of stuff has
copied over; this happens every time.

There is nothing coming up in the logs for the time that it reboots.

The process listing has a bunch of stuff that I don't recognise (when
compared to the woody installs I have here in my office that I built
myself) so I'm guessing 1&1 put some stuff in their standard image and
I'm wondering there's something in there.

One possible candidate is [watchdog/0]
(http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/watchdog) but I can't see how
to turn it off to check (nothing in init.d and grep -ir in /etc brings
back nothing)

Anecdotally the machine has stopped responding a few times over the
past weeks again with nothign in the logs and I've had to powercycle
it (I have the ability to do this over the interweb via a remote
cpanel)

I was wondering where you guys would start you investigations were you
in my shoes? For the record contacting their support dept is a last
resort.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

--