[Malvern] Memory Reliability

Angus Clarke post at angusclarke.com
Sun Aug 12 11:05:28 BST 2007

The only time I ever power cycle Linux boxes is for hardware maintenance
(CPU/memory replacement/upgrade etc.)
Or for the occasional site move (quite rare!)
Reboots are less frequent than that!

The M$ admins I have worked with before now, usually reboot their
servers (or perhaps recycle their services) on some scheduled basis
(weekly or daily in some cases) Its not uncommon to hear the phrase "IIS
reset required." This is apparently to address software degradation of
service before it becomes noticeably bad to the business. I presume they
power cycle for hardware maintenance too ...

Regards
/A