[Malvern] Mac Mini?

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 16 16:11:12 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 21:28 +0100, Phil Ironside wrote:
> I know Phil has a lot of experience with putting Linux
> > on a Mac laptop but has anyone done it on a Mini?
>
> Andy Dixon has put linux on one I think, but it should not be any different than the
> laptop, and now they are intel based there will be a lot more support for things -
> for instance Flash will work in Firefox properly.

Chris,

I'm sending this from one now - a dual core 1.67GHz
running Debian Unstable and driving a 22in widescreen
monitor. It makes a nice unobtrusive, and relatively
low power-consumption desktop for web work.

I used to have a G4 iBook, and hardware support was
very good in Debian (& Ubuntu and Gentoo), once you'd
tweaked a bit, but the Intel Macs work out-of-the-box. [1]

3D graphics with no kernel blob is great - which is why
my current laptop also has Intel graphics :)

- Richard
[catching up on e-mails after time away]

[1] Provided your distro installs the Intel graphics drivers.

Richard Smedley,                                         rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                     www.M6-IT.org
M6-IT CIC                                        +44 (0)779 456 07 14

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office:      4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - cymru at m6-it.org

Southern Office: Bristol                    contact matthew at m6-it.org