[Malvern] Rack Mounted Equipment

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Wed Aug 22 21:17:47 BST 2007

Many are specific to the concept of rack mounting. For example you can't
fit a vertical expansion card in a 1U system so there might be a short
riser card with space for 2 expansion cards parallel to the motherboard.
There might be a narrow 'laptop style' optical drive, again for space
reasons.
The 1U system I was playing with today has a power supply (actually,
space for 2) without the standard connectors to the motherboard; it just
clicks into a space in the chassis and magic occurs to get the power to
the board. I'm not kidding, it's really hard to spot where the power
from both potential supplies is routed to get to the connectors onto the
motherboard.

Higher U systems have more room so might be more similar to a desktop
machine (tower on it's side) but I've no real experience with the guts
of them.

There are also blade systems which are totally non-desktop.