[Malvern] Install problem.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 23 16:08:34 BST 2007

I have always enjoyed happy results installing both Debian and Ubuntu,
but This is one I haven't met before.
I have installed lots of Woody, Sarge, and Etch systems in the past.

I have recently acquired a "used" desktop system -  1.4 GHx  Athlon,  30
GB Maxtor hard drive.

I had no problem downloading and installing the whole thing from the
Debian Mirror.  ( By using netinst).
The local ethernet works fine - I can ping the other machines  (both
directions),  and access the Netgear Router.

However it will not let me use apt-get .   It fails to get into the
mirror.  Nor can I get into the  www.
The picture is the same for Ubuntu - it baffles me that they should face
a common problem on one machine.
I have had no problems on any of my other machines.

What am I missing that was not covered in the set up process ?
Could it be a crypto problem ?

I am not aware of any hardware problems.
I can't use dmesg because it scrolls off the screen,  and I can't load
"less"  !

Any ideas please ?

Cheers,

Geoff.