FW: [Malvern] the Museum of Computing, Swindon

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 12 09:22:59 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 07:27 +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> Our Tandon 286 is still in daily use (with WordPerfect 5.1)  as Lynda's
> typewriter !

WordPerfect 5.1 was the zenith of word processor development
(assuming you don't count LaTeX as a wp ;)
I know of others who happily ignored the spread of GUIs and
carried on using it through the 90s and beyond :)

Modern wps are not just resource hogs, but time drains - how
many working hours are lost through people tweaking settings
and presentational fluff on documents that are basically
about *text* ? I have to run OOo, to open docs sent to me,
but I've never found it useful for creating documents :-/

 - Richard