[Malvern] Version Control

Steve Cashmore mlug at cashmore.me.uk
Wed Dec 12 09:33:52 GMT 2007

Hi all,

A little background:
For many years I've been using RCS & CVS to keep track of source code
and documents from both Linux & Windows machines. Lately however I've
often found myself needing to check-in code without server access. That
and the fact that my latest notebook came with Vista and many of my
project compilers are Windows hosted, and the CSRCS version control
software doesn't play well with Vista have led me to look for alternatives.

I need to still be able to check in code while not connected to a
central server, synchronising later, so have been looking at Bazaar,
Mercury & Monotone. Windows support is essential.
These three seem to work OK on Windows, Bazaar keeps the repository in a
non readable binary form, while Mercury uses a mainly text format. I'm
quite happy to use the command line to check-in/out source but would
really like a better visualisation & diff tool (point & click) to browse
and compare old revisions/branches.

So what is the collective wisdom out there, anybody else with the same
needs, if so what have you found?
--
Steve