[Malvern] eee pc

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Fri Dec 28 18:37:47 GMT 2007

Yo

I had a chance to play with one of those teeny little Asus EEE PCs today
and I was jolly impressed. The custom Xandros distro is very similar to
the GUI on my old Zaurus PDA and fits the simple nature of the device
quite well. That saying, I'd probably put a std distro on it if I could
be sure of getting all the hardware working.

The black borders on the side of the display where the speakers are do
not seem obtrusive and the screen is fine as it is. The rumoured 10"
screen might be nice but isn't necessary (and it would use more power).

The keyboard is about as small as it can be and still be useful, those
with fatter fingers than me might not get on well with it.

I would have liked to have tested it for things like multimedia playback
  as it ships with mplayer, but I couldn't find any movie files already
in the flash and didn't want to spend too long tapping away at a console.

If it wasn't for that fact that PC World[1] only had the 2GB version in
stock I might well have bought one.

Rick

[1] I know. Sorry.