[Malvern] Fw: [mlvrnfreecycle] OFFERED: D-Link wireless router (malvern link)

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 4 20:24:36 BST 2007

Hi Rick,

Many thanks for the info on the Netgear firewall/router.

The two later (smaller) versions of the same router which I bought did
not have this open port,
so they must have found another way to do whatever it was they did !

I take your point concerning WiFi.  Access would be to the internal side
of the router, whereas
on a wired connection  the outside world has to get through the firewall
to reach the internal network.

I note your view that security on the PCs can potentially be better than
than that afforded in the
firewall/router.

Richard Forster wrote:
> Google for netgear and 5190 and you will find out all about what netgear
> did to their routers.
I did that ! Most interesting.

Your last remark follows :
> No really, go for it!
>
> Rick
I wonder what 'it' you meant ?  Possibly that D-Link  wireless/router ?
I was not intending to have a complete wireless network.
A wired N/W is clearly more secure, and the best firewall is an air-gap.

The book I borrowed from Chris is also a big vote in favour of a wired N/W.

However, I do have a nice laptop with built-in Wi-Fi,  and I liked the
idea of having just one  (selectable) WiFi link
from my Ethernet to the laptop.  I also would like enough experience and
know-how to help a friend near Banbury,
who has a Windows WiFi network,  and wants to play with Ubuntu on a
wireless connected laptop!

Thanks a lot Rick,  and hope the rest of the gang are not too bored by
all this.

Best regards,

Geoff