[Malvern] One for the Perl-mongers.

Angus Clarke post at angusclarke.com
Sun Jul 15 19:31:54 BST 2007

Yeah, just read Richard's email, the following ammendments should get
around spacing issues:

#! /bin/bash

IFS=$'\n'

DIR=/dir/to/files   # Change this!

cd ${DIR}
for FILE in `ls`
do
 NEWNAME=`echo "${FILE}" | tr [:upper:] [:lower:]`
 echo "Renaming ${FILE} to ${NEWNAME}"
 mv "${FILE}" "${NEWNAME}"
done

Setting IFS at the start changes the default Input Field Seperator
I have also put double quotes around the filename variables, so that
whitespace is read as part of the filename