[Malvern] Fw: O'Reilly User Group Newsletter - Issue 05-07

Phil Ironside phil at creativespaces.co.uk
Tue Jun 5 14:25:23 BST 2007

For any one who wants to keep up with what is new on the O'Reilly network here is the latest mewsletter.

Please tell me if you find this usefull.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 13:46:37 +0100
From: "Josette Garcia" <Josette at OReilly.co.uk>
To: "Josette Garcia" <Josette at OReilly.co.uk>
Subject: O'Reilly User Group Newsletter - Issue 05-07

O'Reilly UK User Group Programme
NEWSLETTER
Issue 05-07

Within a week, this newsletter will be available to be downloaded in pdf
format from the Developers Group web site at
http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0507.pdf
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0507.pdf>

You are welcome to create a link to it for your members' use. Previous
newsletters are available at -

http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0407.pdf
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0407.pdf>

http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0307.pdf
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0307.pdf>

http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0207.pdf
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0207.pdf>

Our aim is to have both formats available at the same time, but that
might take us a little longer.

HIGHLIGHTS

O'REILLYGMT

NEWS FROM O'REILLY AND BEYOND

BOOK NEWS
- Books for review

- Coming soon

CONFERENCE NEWS

UPCOMING EVENTS

YOUR BOOK REVIEWS

O'REILLYGMT

O'ReillyGMT is a new blog from O'Reilly. We plan to bring you the
low-down on tech culture from Iceland, Russia, South Africa and every
place in between, from grass roots coding in solitary rooms, through the
hopes and dreams of start-ups, via the pioneering work done by
governments, charities and direct action groups, to the sizeable
contributions of the major corporations that grace this territory.

Our main line of reportage will be technology, but we're keen to dive
into ecology, business, media, the arts, academia whenever we learn
something we'd like to pass on.

But we want this to be a two-way conversation. Please let us know what
you're working on, comment on the stuff we write about, tell us what
we're doing right and what we're doing wrong. We built this site to
reflect what's going on: you know better than us, so please, join us!

Contact us - oreillygmt at oreilly.co.uk <mailto:oreillygmt at oreilly.co.uk>

BOOK NEWS

Is your group interested in reviewing our books?

If so, send me an email with the delivery address together with the book
you would like to review.  I will arrange for a free copy to be sent to
you or the reviewer as soon as possible. When the review is published,
please send me a copy or the url. I would also appreciate if you could
send a copy of the review to www.amazon.co.uk <http://www.amazon.co.uk/>

Latest books available for review -

*         40 Digital  Photo Retouching Techniques with Photoshop
Elements <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/8931433700/index.html>

*         Access Data Analysis Cookbook
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101220/index.html>

*         Ajax with PHP 5 <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514037>
(PDF)

*         bash Cookbook <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596526788>

*         Closeup Shooting (Hard Cover)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/1933952091>  (Rocky Nook)

*         The Definitive ANTLR Reference
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/0978739256> (Pragmatic Bookshelf)

*	Devices of the Soul
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596526801/index.html>  (hardcover)
*	Flash CS3 The Missing Manual
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510442/index.html>
*	Flex Early Evaluation: Assessing Flex and Your Project Needs
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/evaluator1> (PDF)
*	The FreeBSD 6.2 Crash Course
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/FreeBSD62> (PDF)
*	Learning Ruby <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529864>
*	Learning WCF <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101626>

*         MAKE: Technology on Your Time Volume 10
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596513863>

*         Making Your Mark in Second Life: Business, Land, and Money
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514174>  (PDF)

*	Managing the Test People: A Guide to Practical Technical
Management <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781933952123/>
*	The Myths of Innovation
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527051/index.html>  (hardcover)

*         Office 2007: The Missing Manual
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514228/index.html>

*	Programming Firefox
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/programfirefox/index.html>

*         Programming Flex
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/programadobe/index.html>

*	Rails on Windows <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/railsonwindows>
(PDF)
*	Reaching a Global Online Audience
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596513733> (PDF)
*	RESTful Web Services
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529260>
*	Setting Up Google Apps Standard Edition
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514877> (PDF)
*	Sony Alpha DSLR A100: A Better Manual
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529253> (PDF)
*	Understanding Oracle Clinical
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596550059> (PDF)
*	Windows Vista Accelerated
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/8931434383> (Young Jin)

*         Yahoo! Pipes <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514532>
(PDF)

NEWS FROM O'REILLY AND BEYOND

General News

New Adobe CS3 Books on the Way
<http://www.oreilly.com/pub/topic/adobecs3?page=upcoming>
Just in time for the largest software release in Adobe?s 25-year
history, Adobe Creative Suite 3, we?re introducing our new "Learning"
series. The new self-paced learning system includes tutorial books,
video demos, online resources, and instructor guides. We?re creating
five brilliantly illustrated books covering everything you need to know
about the applications in CS3?Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash,
Dreamweaver, and InDesign. Each book can be used on its own or as part
of a comprehensive curriculum. Written by product experts and trainers,
these new Learning books will be published soon.

A Q&A with Scott Berkun, author of "The Myths of Innovation"
<http://www.oreillynet.com/fyi/blog/2007/05/a_qa_with_scott_berkun_1.htm
l>
Seattle-based author Scott Berkun's first book, 2005's "The Art of
Project Management, quickly scaled the bestseller charts. In his widely
anticipated new book, "The Myths of Innovation," Scott aims to demystify
innovation. In a recent conversation, Scott illuminates why much of what
we think we know about innovation is not only false, but may actually
stifle our creativity.

Project Management Bookshelf <http://oreilly.com/promos/prodmgmt/>
You'll Wonder How You Managed Without Them--Learn from veteran managers
of software and web development how to plan, manage, and lead projects.
These books use dozens of examples from the history of technology,
business, and the arts, you'll learn how to convert the knowledge you
have into ideas that can change the world.

600 Hours of Video Training Now in Safari
<http://my.safaribooksonline.com/video>
Safari has added top-notch video content to the Safari Library. Safari
Library customers now get full access to 75 technical and design courses
from leading video training experts. This impressive collection of
online videos provides high-quality instruction on web design, software
development, and graphics tools and techniques.

Ruby on Rails Meets Eclipse
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/ruby/2007/04/26/ruby-on-rails-meets-ecl
ipse.html>
Many developers are familiar with the Eclipse development environment.
With RDT and RadRails, Ruby on Rails developers can have access to the
same powerful feature set. Deepak Vohra provides a detailed walkthrough
of how to install these packages, and how to create a simple CRUD
application using them.

Create Create Your Own O'Reilly Shirt, Mug, or Poster
<http://www.qoop.com/photobooks/photofront/pub_store.php?pub_name=oreill
y>
In just three easy steps you can create a one of a kind shirt, mug, or
poster adorned with your favorite O'Reilly animal. Create yours now!

User Group Members Receive a Special 30% Discount on O'Reilly Learning
Courses <http://www.oreillyschool.com/?CMP=BAC-ostug>
As an O'Reilly User Group member, you save on all the courses in the
following University of Illinois Certificate Series:

*	Linux/Unix System Administration
*	Web Programming
*	Open Source Programming
*	.NET Programming
*	Client-Side Web Programming featuring AJAX

To redeem, use Promotion Code "ORALL1," good for a 30% discount, in Step
#3 of the enrollment process. Each course comes with a free O'Reilly
book and a 7-day money-back guarantee. Register online
<http://www.oreillyschool.com/?CMP=BAC-ostug> .

________________________________

Open Source

 Building a Data Warehouse with MySQL and Perl
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/databases/2007/04/12/building-a-data-wa
rehouse-with-mysql-and-perl.html>
Most of us are at least somewhat familiar with the kind of relational
database schemas that are created for e-commerce sites, among others.
But there's another kind of database model out there: the data
warehouse. Sam Tregar gives us the lowdown on this highly UNrelational
database.

OpenBSD 4.1: Puffy Strikes Again
<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2007/05/03/openbsd-41-puffy-strikes-aga
in.html>
OpenBSD 4.1 has recently been released. It includes improvements to spam
fighting, SMP, porting to new platforms, and much more. As usual,
Federico Biancuzzi has sought out some of the most influential OpenBSD
developers for a discussion of what you'll find in 4.1

Five Ways to Improve Your Perl Programming
<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/04/12/five-ways-to-improve-your
-perl-programming.html>
Inside every tangle of obfuscated Perl code is a clean, well-architected
gem struggling to emerge from its cocoon. brian d foy has spent a lot of
time thinking about this for his new book, "Mastering Perl," and has
come up with a Top Five list of things that every Perl programmer should
be thinking about when writing code.

________________________________

Sys Admin

 Top 7 Things System Administrators Forget to Do
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/sysadmin/2007/05/03/the-top-7-things-sy
sadmins-forget-to-do.html>
Do system administrators really forget to do basic tasks because they're
lazy or do the pressures of the job keep them from getting everything
done? Tom Adelstein explores the top seven tasks system administrators
forget to do.

Five Basic Mistakes Not to Make in DNS
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/sysadmin/2007/04/26/5-basic-mistakes-no
t-to-make-in-dns.html>
DNS has managed to keep the Internet afloat for decades, but it spend a
lot of its time handling junk requests that should never have escaped
from a local WAN. Ron Aitchison has a list of five basic things that
every DNS administrator should take care of to keep DNS a happy
infrastructure.

________________________________

Digital Media

 Rick LePage on Fine Art Printers for Aperture
<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/04/30/fine-art-printers-for-apertu
re.html>
Affordable hardware for fine art printing is more bountiful than ever.
In this exclusive Inside Aperture podcast, Macworld editor at large,
Rick LePage, covers the latest offerings from Epson, HP, and Canon. Rick
supplies plenty of insight about how HP is challenging Epson, and some
thoughts about Canon's emergence, then absence in the mid range fine art
market. Derrick Story chats with Rick during a visit to San Francisco.

Review: Boss Micro BR Palmtop Recording Studio
<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/04/26/review-boss-micro-br-digital
-recorder.html>
At just over 3x5 inches, the Boss Micro BR is a digital recording studio
you can use anywhere. It records up to 32 tracks, has a built-in mic and
drum machine, and even plays your MP3s. Can it possibly work at just
$229 street? Reviewer Gina Fant-Saez finds out.

________________________________

Mac

 Building Custom iQuiz Data
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2007/04/30/building-custom-iquiz-
data.html>
iQuiz is a brand new, flashy iPod game from Apple that allows users to
create custom games and run them using the iQuiz interface. In this
tutorial, Erica Sadun shows how to create custom iQuiz files and
provides sample code and files.

Customizing TextMate
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2007/04/11/customizing-textmate.h
tml>
TextMate is one of the most popular text editors among Mac developers,
in part due to how much you can customize the powerful program. James
Edward Gray II recently wrote "TextMate: Power Editing for the Mac" and
presents this article on creating an RPN calculator in TextMate as an
example of how to do complex TextMate customizations.

________________________________

Microsoft/.NET

 Preston Gralla on Vista <http://safari.oreilly.com/march07_newsletter>
Safari recently interviewed Preston Gralla, author of "Windows Vista in
a Nutshell." He's authored over 30 books and countless articles for
publications ranging from PC Magazine to the Los Angeles Times. He's a
frequent guest on TV and radio shows covering technology and has
appeared on CNN, MSNBC, and NPR.

Installing and Configuring ISA 2006
<http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2007/04/17/installing-and
-configuring-isa-2006.html>
Internet Security and Acceleration Server (ISA) 2006, Microsoft's latest
release of its popular web proxy and security suite, has become a
full-blown perimeter security solution for both small and large
networks. Chris Sanders shows you how to set it up and configure it for
best performance.

Why Do ASP.NET Programmers Need to Learn CSS?
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/windows/2007/05/01/why-doaspnet-program
mers-need-to-learn-css.html>
ASP.NET has not been great at controlling the layout of elements on a
web page. Dan Hurwitz and Jesse Liberty show you how to gain precise
controls over presentation with Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). They argue
that programmers who embrace CSS as their own, rather than thinking of
it as an esoteric skill of designers, place themselves ahead of the
pack.

________________________________

Java

 Interview with Tim Bray: Atom, JRuby, and the Ecumenical Sun
<http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2007/05/03/interview-with-tim-bray-a
tom-jruby-and-the-ecumenical-sun.html>
Tim Bray recently took some time out of his hectic schedule to talk to
the O'Reilly Network about his current work on the Atom protocol, his
views on JRuby, and Sun's evolving Web strategy. Find out what is on
Tim's mind these days.

An Interview with Robert Brewin
<http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2007/05/10/an-interview-with-robert-
brewin.html>
What happens when you get the CTO of Sun and the editor of OnJava in the
same room at JavaOne? A short but informative interview for the OnJava
readers about JavaFX Script, JavaFX Mobile, and the future of the Java
platform.

________________________________

Web

 PittMFUG Pittsburgh Adobe Flash Users Group Chats with Author Colin
Moock <http://www.pittmfug.com/podcast/pittmfugColinMoock.mp3>
Pittsburgh Adobe Flash Users Group interviewed Colin Moock about his
upcoming book "Essential ActionScript 3." Listen to the podcast.

Besiege Your Web Application--Load Testing over HTTP
<http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2007/05/07/besiege-your-web-application-
load-testing-over-http/>
Paul explains how to test your web apps to ensure they can handle heavy
user demand.

JavaScript and Screenreaders
<http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2007/04/30/javascript-and-screen-readers
/>
Kevin Yank take a look at how Web Developers can make their sites
accessible to users who use screenreaders.

Conference News

<http://conferences.oreilly.com/where/> Where 2.0 Conference 2007
<http://conferences.oreilly.com/where/>

May 29-30, 2007
San Jose, CA
Last Chance - Register using code "whr07dsug" when you register, and
receive 15% off the registration price.

<http://conferences.oreillynet.com/toc/> O'Reilly TOC Conference
<outbind://12/toc/>
June 18-20, 2007
San Jose, CA
Use code "toc07dsug" when you register, and receive 15% off the early
registration price.

<http://conferences.oreillynet.com/oscon/> O'Reilly Open Source
Convention 2007 <http://conferences.oreillynet.com/oscon/>
July 23-27, 2007
Portland, Oregon
Use code "os07dsug" when you register, and receive 15% off the early
registration price.

<http://www.ubuntulive.com/> Ubuntu Live <http://www.ubuntulive.com/>
July 22-24, 2007
Portland, Oregon
Use code "ubu07dsug" when you register, and receive 15% off the early
registration price.

<http://www.energyinnovation.com/> O'Reilly Energy Innovation Conference
<http://www.energyinnovation.com/>
August 22-24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Use code "ei07usrg" when you register, and receive 15% off the early
registration price.

For complete conference information, go to:
http://conferences.oreilly.com/ <http://conferences.oreilly.com/>

UPCOMING EVENTS (ORM = O'Reilly will be there)

ORM*** DebConf 2007 <https://debconf7.debconf.org/wiki/Main_Page> ,
17-23 June - Edinburgh, UK

DebConf is the Debian Project's developer conference. In addition to a
full schedule of technical, social and policy talks, DebConf provides an
opportunity for developers, contributors and other interested people to
meet in person and work together more closely. It has taken place
annually since 2000 in locations as varied as Canada, Finland and
Mexico.

*** Hack Day <http://www.hackday.org/> , 16-17 June, Alexandra Palace,
London

"Expect U.K. Hack Day to be substantially similar to what we did in
Sunnyvale last September, including physical, mental, and psychic
sustenance. As before, you need to sign up in advance because space at
the venue--especially space on the wireless network at the venue--will
be limited, and we want the experience to be outstanding for everyone. "
- Kent Brewster

ORM*** WebTech <http://www.wtconferences.com/2007/>  07, 29/30 June -
Varna, Bulgaria

4th Internet technologies conference will take place in the bulgarian
seaside at city of Varna <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varna> . The
conference as in the previous 3 years will focus on new technologies in
web programming, open source and everything that stands for IT (Internet
Technologies).  During the two days event visitors will be acquainted
with many aspects of these technologies and will be introduced to the
future plans for development. Main themes are going to be programming
languages as PHP, Perl, Python, the .Net technology and many more which
you will be able to see in the schedule section.

ORM*** LUG Radio <http://www.lugradio.org/live/2007/index.php/Main_Page>
, 7-8 July - Wolverhampton, UK

LUGRadio Live is a popular community-driven fun and social two-day
event, run by the team who produce the LugRadio
<http://www.lugradio.org/>  fortnightly Linux and open source radio
show, that is focused on Open Source, free software and related
technologies. It brings together a range of speakers, exhibitors, BOFs,
events and more in a memorable two day extravaganza that is sure to rock
your socks off. In its third year, LUGRadio Live is sure to beat the
last two years that have proven incredibly successful and placed
LUGRadio Live as the event to attend in the Open Source and free
software calendar.

ORM*** Guadec <http://www.guadec.org/> , 15-21 July - Birmingham, UK

GUADEC (pronounced GWAH-DEC) is an acronym for the GNOME Users' And
Developers' European Conference. Held annually in cities around Europe,
GUADEC is the largest get together of GNOME users, developers,
foundation leaders, individuals, governments and businesses in the
world.

Presentations are given by software developers, business leaders and
users who are involved in Open Source, Free Software and of course,
GNOME. These combine with many practical sessions and discussion groups
which set the direction of the GNOME project. It also aims to attract
new developers and contributers, as well has serve as a meeting point
for corporate interests and allow us to showcase some of the latest
technologies.

ORM*** Profoss <http://www.profoss.eu/> , 9-10 October - Brussels,
Belgium

Profoss is geared towards IT professionals. People behind Profoss are IT
professionals and will take care to position Profoss as a reliable
source when you need information about Free and Open Source Software for
your enterprise. The theme of the first event is Asterisk
<http://www.asterisk.org/> , the open source telephone system, that
brings the flexibility needed to replace old and expensive PBX systems.

A more complete list of events can be found on www.oreillygmt.eu
<http://www.oreillygmt.eu/>

YOUR BOOK REVIEWS

London Perl Mongers reviewed