[Malvern] LUG Up Front

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Wed May 2 21:45:33 BST 2007

Hi Gang.

Sorry I couldn't be with y'all at the GMH.

I had (and still have ) an attack of the Grots.
I didn't want to pass it on,  well not to you lot !

I would be very pleased to participate in GNU/Linux Evangelical  activities.

I am already writing down notes on  what we might say, and to whom we
might say it.
I attended a Linux talk at the Malvern U3A last year.  It was very
good,  but SuSE specific.

One question which crops up in some circles concerns those applications
which are an industry
standard, but for which there is no Linux equivalent.
Specifically "SAGE", widely used by most UK accountancy firms.

If someone could hack a one-for-one clone of SAGE,  a lot of people,
including the voluntary sector,
would probably like to save a bit of money by using   FOSS.

We could kick off by outlining what some of the issues are.

For the majority of ordinary people, who only want to surf the Web, and
do e-mails,
oh,  and save some money,  there should not be a problem.

I personally like not having to click to say that I accept something,
and don't get locked in
to someone's  virus and spy-ware ridden world.

I understand that  M$ Windoze is still prized by people who play
computer games,
but they would not be my  chosen target group.

Please keep me in touch Ian.

Best to all,

Geoff.