[Malvern] Mounting SD memory.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 11 21:03:06 BST 2007

Richard Forster wrote:
> Can you describe why you don't want to run a system that just works
> and automounts the device?
Hi Rick - As a practical matter, I don't.  As you say it works, and I
use it.

> Or rather, what did you have to do to stop a modern system just working?
When I search the file structure for "/media",  it is not the same as
the "/media" of the chip when it is in the camera.
That is why I bought a separate  interface gadget which is USB based.

This , by the way, is why it comes up in /dev/sda1 .

> Even on my iMac running Debian stable[1] at the moment, I plug in a
> USB thingy and it gets automounted in a sensible directory under /media.

Going into the CLI interface gives a more controlled manner to probe
into what is going on.
Another way might be to change from KDE to Gnome.
> In fact the _only_ time I ever use CLI mount commands any more is when
> I want to rip an audio CD that has data on it. grip doesn't rip the
> audio portion if the disc is mounted (which happens automatically if
> there is data) and only with the command line can I easily unmount
> without ejecting.
>
> Rick
>
> [1] About the oldest distro that might be considered modern, IYSWIM
Yep,  ISWYM.   But that can sometimes be a virtue when it is modern
enough, and not the focus at the moment.

Thanks for all the replies.

Geoff.