[Malvern] USB problem solved.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 14 13:42:32 BST 2007

Chris Eilbeck wrote:

> I'd guess the kernel you're using doesn't support USB.

It was not the kernel,  which I proved by going back to Etch.
It was a Windows only funny USB manager specific to the motherboard.
I thought it was a hardware problerm,  and I was partly right.

I got round it by buying a new PCI  5  socket  USB card.
I re-booted, and plugged in a memory stick.
It was instantly recognized.

I mounted the memory  stick  ( /dev/sda1 ) on /mnt,  and removed all the
Windows-oriented files with which it was contaminated
(they were numerous).

All is now well, and the machine is fully functional.
It has a higher spec than "tren",  so I will gradually move over to the
fresh machine
(note not "new" machine !).

Many thanks for help.

See you sometime soon.

Best regards,

Geoff

PS.  We got back from Germany on Saturday.