[Malvern] Well, that's it for Sun Microsystems.

Guy Inchbald guy at steelpillow.com
Tue Apr 21 21:07:41 UTC 2009

MySQL has already forked. Sun started making their advanced new features
proprietary, so the originator Monty Widenius left Sun a little while
ago and created a fork called MariaDB. There is also a fork called
Drizzle, and possibly others. Sorry I have lost the links to follow up,
but Google is your friend.

OOo (OpenOffice.Org) has also sort of forked. Go-OOo is an unofficial
(i.e. not sanctioned by Sun) enhancement which the maintainers had hoped
to feed back into the OOo source, and which is apparently the version
you get with debian lenny - even though my debian version info doesn't
say so.

IMHO the big question is the one hanging over java - will Oracle make
the same kind of mess that Sun did, or even worse, or (one can always
dream) actually fix it?

--
Cheers,
Guy Inchbald