[Malvern] migration from ms xp to ubuntu 8.10

JIM MURPHY murphyjim at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 5 16:55:29 UTC 2009

Flush with new found confidence i decided to go ahead on one of my laptops and migrate... failed.

error message is:

"The ext3 file system creation in partition # 1 of SCSI5 (0,0,0) (sdb) failed"

i searched the forum and implemented their suggested solution ( insert update something into a text file) still no good.

Quite pleased with myself cos that reqd me to go into commannd line and edit it... never been in command line before and i successfully did the fix but the fix didnt cure the problem.

my concern here is not to complete th emigration - rather that when i coax others to migrate they have a work around for this problem... alth' looking at the forums it may be just specific to me cos not many seem to have the problem.

seems something to do witht he format of the hard drive prior to th eattempt to install ubuntu so if all i have to do is reformat the windows drive to soiimething then if you can give me the instruction for that in windows and in ubuntu then i can just add it as the first step for the guys who are successfully coaxed.

Regards

Jim