[Malvern] Streaming live radio stations

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Thu Feb 4 18:38:08 UTC 2010

Here's a few pointers for playing live radio stations under Linux (or
whatever) from BBC's iplayer using open-source tools only.  As I've talked
about before I'm using the excellent get_iplayer script from

  http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer

You can use it to download programmes from the BBC or to play live streams.
It's a perl script and you can run a cron job to keep it updated e.g.

  0 1 * * * /usr/bin/get_iplayer --update

in root crontab.

To get a list of streams available you just run

  get_iplayer --type=liveradio

To listen to a particular stream you can either use its stream number of a
search term in the get_iplayer command e.g.

  get_iplayer --type=liveradio --stream "radio 4 fm" --player="mplayer -cache 256 -"

Hope this is some use to you all.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR