[Malvern] Upgrading to Firefox

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 21 10:56:56 UTC 2010

William.

I guess you have probably come across the "package management system"
that is used by Ubuntu.
It is much the same as the one in Debian GNU/Linux, from which Ubuntu
derives.

When you update you software, you get more recent versions with
"bug-fixes"  and security fixes to
keep out  evil spirits.

The computer contacts a "repository", or "mirror"  where all the latest
goodies are kept.
There  are lots of these,  and the  sources you use are listed in a file
in your machine which gets
consulted when you update or upgrade.

The file is  called  /etc/apt/sources.list
and can be edited according to how choosey you are about such things as
"non-free" software.

I  use the command line  to edit the sources list  or to update or to
upgrade.
I  am new to Ubuntu, but have used "Debian"   (the grand-daddy of
Ubuntu)  for about eight years.

If you don't fancy using the command line yet,  there are graphical
methods of installing Ubuntu software,
and (on mine) I get prompted for updates.

Where do you live ?  You can get help from a number of Linux users in
and around Malvern.

Please ask for further questions.

The point of my question about upgrading to Hardy Heron LTS  was to find
out whether any
of the brethren  think it's a dodgy thing to do.   I have not crashed
anything yet !

Best regards,

Geoff