[Malvern] Next GMH meeting - 2nd March 2010

Ian Pascoe ianpascoe at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 25 20:17:05 UTC 2010

Gents and Geeks

I think I've mentioned that last year I bought myself a Viglen MPC-L to play
with .... and I've at long last made a decision as to what I'm going to do
with it.

I'd like to make it a SAMBA Printer and File server in the first instance
based on Ubuntu.

Apart from the obvious, as it's generally speaking not for me, problem,
there's also a tweak that needs to be done during install that requires a
driver to be copied over from a live install or downloaded from one of the
Ubuntu UK LOco sites as although it's got an 80Gb HD, a standard install
will only see a 40 Gb drive due to something Viglen's done.

So, if someone can volunteer to take it away, or do it at the GMH on my
behalf, I'd appreciate the help.

The only other tweak I need to happen is for the SpeakUp! kernal module and
associated packages to be installed too which are in a PPA.

Oh, and if you like a challenge, on top of all of this, to make it wireless
too using a USB dongle I've got that's allegedly Linux compatible .... but
that can wait if need be

Any offers?

Ian