[Malvern] Where did the last 2 weeks go?

Andrew Morris zaglabod at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 10 10:59:25 UTC 2012

The world turned ... politics, religion and banking did their respective
things and we did not win the lotterrrrrry ... again. Linux and Open
Source, however, ploughed a furrow that is getting perceivably wider and
deeper ... and down in the wilds of Somerset, we added a smidgen or
three ...

<Ring> <Ring>

"Hello"

<Hesitant Asian or East European voice, possibly reading from a script>
"This is the technical support department of <fill blank as appropriate
with random commercial-type name>, we have detected a problem on your
<optional word "windows"> <fixed word "computer" or "pc"> ..."

<Me breaking-in, curtly> "I haven't got one ..." <True for a given value
of "true" ... I have a laptop with Knoppix>

<Various expressions of stunned surprise>

At which point I put the phone down, usually grinning, although several
times lately it has been my wife answering, with much the same glee as
myself, having become an enthusiastic convert via Kubuntu on an Asus
Eeepc. She cannot now understand why anyone would use Windows, telling
anyone who will listen, including the her bosses, who have had some
computer "difficulties" recently. Our son still runs W7, because of the
free versions of CGI software he runs for his college course ... but is
now so fed up with it that he is backing-up all his work to a TB USB
drive so that we can clean his machine and reload with a suitable distro
... the recent improvements in wine handling his favourite games, plus
some targeted trojans, seem to have been the tipping point.

Hey, ho ... things happen!

Merry new annum to all

Andy