[Malvern] Ubuntu 14.10 - 70-persistent-net.rules

ken at shail.co.uk ken at shail.co.uk
Sun Apr 5 13:40:58 UTC 2015

I have a problem with network set-up on Ubuntu 14.10 server and wondered if
any of the group have experience with this issue. I have googled and found
quite that it is quite common but no one has provided a complete answer. It
looks like the well tried and reliable network set-up has now been bust.

It starts with the LAN interface being allocated p1p1 and p4p1 (I have two
on this board) instead of eth0 and eth1.
It appears that /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules is not being
written to like it used to by the udev startup action and that the system
creates p1p1 and p4p1as substitutes. It will work in this configuration as
long as it is left in auto-DHCP configuration. The problem come when
allocating mixed auto and manual settings.

The work-around seems to be to create 70-persistent-net.rules manually using
the MAC addresses of the two interfaces then populating
/etc/network/interfaces manually.
This works fine if both are manual (static IP) but if one is static and the
other uses DHCP the boot sequence waits for 60 seconds for the one with DHCP
to find its setting when no cable is connected to that port. If a cable is
connected it will find settings as usual from the DHCP server but then
refuses to send packets. They all have to go via the port that has the
static IP.

It all seems a bit of a hack and the real reason is not apparent. I.E. why
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules is not being written to
automatically.

I have installed Mint 17.1 and the same applies, presumably because it is
Debian based.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ken Shail