[Menai-LUG] Re: [Northwales] Meeting/event - notes from the meeting

Carwyn Edwards carwyn at carwyn.com
Thu Apr 5 16:23:37 BST 2007

Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> Sorry for the delay in posting these - some home stuff intervened.

[lots of stuff about the meeting]

I'll ask around at work (University of Wales, Bangor) to see if we can
help in any way with this. Technium Cast (techniumcast.com) and Intec
also have some people that might be interested. IT Wales (itwales.com)
is another group that will likely have interested parties.

I think it's important to choose the message you want to convey to the
attendees carefully. For example:

"Solve your business computing needs affordably and sustainably using
adaptable (versatile?) free (GPL) software"

I'd be concerned about two words in this sentence: "free" and "GPL". "Free" is a double edged sword from what I've seen in businesses perception. People like free things, but tend to associate low value to things that are given away free. I've also had people argue that free is also often associated with poor customer support. I think I'd suggest Open Source instead of "free". It isn't free, there is value and cost to it. GPL on the other hand is too specific, much of the software that non technical people will associate with Open Source isn't GPL.

My suggestions:

"Solve your business computing needs affordably and sustainably using Open Source Software"

"How Open Source and Open Standards can help your Business"

.. having said all that, "FREE SOFTWARE!" will get people's attention.

Carwyn