[Newark] WHOA!! :D

Craig Lynch c.m.lynch87 at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 3 23:42:36 BST 2007

> From: "Khismett Riddle" <spindleflax at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Newark] Two things...
>
> My current plans see September fifteenth this year passing without me
> wandering around on the streets in what passes for British autumn handing
> out cardboard sleeves with free coasters inside to uninterested
> pedestrians
> and desperately shouting my ill-planned self-important free-software
> aphorisms at the passers-by who will almost certainly upgrade to
> by-passers
> at the very sight my liberal grin and long, unkempt hair. But by all
> means,
> strap on the sandwich-board of hope and rev up the adages, just make sure
> you point out that there's some software on the disks that the prospective
> LUGger might like to try before they turn it into a coaster. Ah, how I
> wish
> I could see their sinking expressions as they realise they're being
> out-smarted and patronised at the same time by software that has seemingly
> taken over their computer - oh how they long to be back in that
> comforting,
> familiar glare of Windows. Sure, it's not as clever and it costs more and
> -
> Hell - you've got to pay McAffee or Symantec if you want to stay in
> control
> of it, but you just can't replace that hilarious little paper-clip and its
> indefatigable antics.
>
> Seriously, though, I'm all for humiliating the public in front of their
> computer-savvy toddlers, but don't you think it's a little more effort
> than
> it's worth? Generation Jones' Windozers have enough on their plates
> without
> you saying "ubuntu" is no longer a bond 'twixt all members of humanity but
> it's now a yardstick for their technosavvy. Savvy? Of course you savvy
> 'cus
> y'all have savvy, kapish? Just wear a T-shirt that proclaims "PEBKAC" to
> all
> who care to gaze upon it and you'll get the flickers of confusion and
> concern that you're after along with the occasional spark of recognition
> as
> someone dusts off the acronym and wonders if ThinkGeek is getting too
> popular to still be cool (yeah, it is. Sorry.).
>
> Maybe we have to put up with some ambivalence lest we succumb to
> amarulence
> at such an amalgam. Or maybe I've been away from my computer too long and
> should STFU.
>
> On the other point, I'm too bitter to have a weblog for the aggregation of
> and too paranoid to flaunt my real identity widely on so public an
> Internet
> but I don't mind my name making an appearance amidst so prestigious a
> presentation of digital-prestidigitators-- sorry! Sorry, I'm going. I've
> had
> [...]
WHOA! Awesome rant :D
Sums it up quite neatly

I've had a few of those buggers bite me also..

On a side note..
I agree. To advocate to the general public (as Chris' suggested) would
probably be a waste of time..

heck - I've had far more success when being paid to fix peoples windows
installations with saying,
"Y'know, you don't have to put up with all this defragging and virus
scanning and restarting.."
Which usually piques the curiosity of the stressed Windoze victim..

but anyways,
A smaller start to meets would be better.. drinks in a bar somewhere.. a
bearded social sorta thing
(whoever suggested it) was definitely on the right track