[Newark] Re: A few things worth discussing..

Craig Lynch c.m.lynch87 at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 24 17:59:19 BST 2007

> Y'know, it's a really nice thing to be able to find help for Linux from a
> small number of really good documentation projects, like TLDP and Gentoo
> Wiki, does this LUG really need one if we're just going to be either
> recreating documentation that's elsewhere or writing documentation that
> should be elsewhere?

I agree, we should be linking to those projects rather than re-inventing
documentation..
but I'm pretty sure there may some use for a wiki for us, for example,
showing other users
what we've been doing recently (aka desktop of the month) and a link or
guide on how to
re-create with..

We could also use it for storage of simple stuff to help us get along with
(for example, I have
several custom-made launchers that others may find useful)

I don't know, I'm new to this whole extremism thing.

No plans on extremism here.. just exposure

As for meetings, I'm not exactly in the most convenient of locations to be
> LUGging in Newark. I also don't much care for the advocacy or Ubuntu, so
> it's not exactly my cup of tea. Speaking of which....
>
> Tom

Ubuntu probably the easiest way to introduce new people to FLOSS.. atm, its
also all we have
(unless you have a couple of re-spins of your poison? :D )

> Of the few people I've got that are interested - I think the best way to
> > start would be to have a meet basically explaining what GNU/Linux is and
> > then going on to show a little of what it can do.. (aka grab a hold of
> > some
> > videos of windows doing functions such media centre and then going to
> > linux
> > and showing one of its equivalents
>
> Seems a little enthusiastic ;) Are these people that have never used Linux
> that are interested in using/abusing it ?

Several of them (two specifically) have played about with ubuntu and one has
an ubuntu only
Toshiba Portege (not sure of exact model)

> I have emailed the dudes who were at the bearings building linux based
> > servers & networks, but never got an answer.. Assuming they've keeled
> > over..
> > :(
>
> If you mean ForLinux I think they're still alive...

awesome, I'll try and get in touch with them again (or Chris H should..)
might help drum up business for them too if we were to get meets going.. :D

I would have thought an informal would be more inline with the current
> Newark LUG population without the need to hire or specially get space
> somewhere but it depends what your aims are I guess. Cant say I've ever
> been
> in the Crown & Mitre, think the last pub I went into in Newark was the
> Wheatsheaf a few years ago - now days I just stare into space in the Turks
> Head in Balderton and think about taking over the world...
>
> ChrisB.

lol -  so many plans, so little time :D

Craig