[Newark] Getting Free Software Into Schools

Chris Hayes cbhworld at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 14:24:41 GMT 2007

It certainly is sad that computing isn't generally offered by most schools
at either GCSE or A level - level. I know I'd have taken it if they offered
it at my old sixth form, The Grove. Of course, just because you're putting
FLOSS into the schools, doesn't mean that you can hook Perl, Awk, Sed, etc
into the syllabuses. Unless they decide to start offering computer science
at GCSE level - which'd be fantastic. Anyhow, this was why I was sticking to
the free as in beer reasons - cold hard cash is perhaps gonna be the main
concern of most people in as far as this is concerned. That and security,
reliance and perhaps configurablility.

Anyhow, although you're probably expecting me to say that I'd prefer to see
less coding geeks and more advocacy geeks. I'm actually unsure, I think,
right now, I'd agree with you - even though we've got loads of coders in the
open source community - we could always do with more. Saying that, I feel
that the advocates have got a valuable place, and that they are extremely
useful.

Just a few thoughts there.

Chris Hayes / cbhworld