[Newark] Firefox Queries

Chris Hayes cbhworld at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 20:19:05 UTC 2008

Hey folks,

I've got a slight problem with Firefox right now, or rather with an
extension for Firefox. "CLiCk, Speak" (http://clickspeak.clcworld.net/) is a
text-to-speech extension for Firefox, it can use either FreeTTS, Emacspeak
or Orca to audibly render the text under Linux. Unfortunately it doesn't
seem to be working, and I'm not getting anything in the error console, nor
any messages to the terminal that I've launched Firefox from. The FreeTTS
installation seems to work, I've made freetts,jar splurt out some noise from
text... Also, I've checked to make sure that Java works in the browser by
testing some Java applets, it's using GCJ/Icedtea, I believe.

Any of you guys got any ideas where I could go from this? I can't install
Orca on this machine (as some of the dependencies clash with various special
packages provided by the netbook vendor) and Emacspeak generally seems to be
full of fail... Incidentally, this is on Linpus, a distribution based on
Fedora 8.. apparently.

Chris Hayes