[Newark] Diagnosing problems at boot

Chris Hayes cbhworld at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 12:38:34 UTC 2008

Also, in the meantime - to get a usable Linux system. When you boot your
machine up, straight after the BIOS screen, you should get a bootloader menu
asking you what you'd like to boot into (i.e. Ubuntu, Windows, Solaris -
etc, depending what you have installed). There should be several Ubuntus
listed there, each with different kernel numbers.

For instance, you might see something like: (if you're only running Ubuntu)
Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 8.04.1, memtest86+

Just choose to boot one of the earlier kernels, in this case it'd be
2.6.22-14.

If you don't see that menu when you boot up, you may need to press the Esc
key just after the BIOS screen.

Chris Hayes