[Nottingham] kcore file

BUNTER MATTHEW nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Dec 18 16:56:01 2002

--- Re=E7u de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             18/12/02 =
17.54

Paul,

Correcto that I have 32M RAM. Since it is in proc and these are 'virtual=
'
files I should leave well alone I presume.

I have a cron job to delete all core files and wondered if this was trea=
ted
the same way.

Thanks for the clarification,

Matt

------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:48:34 +0000
Subject: Re: [Nottingham] kcore file

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, BUNTER MATTHEW wrote:
> under my /proc directory a file only readable by root called kcore.

This a file that `contains' the contents of RAM, if you read from locati=
on
0x1234 in this file you will get the contents of main memory at that poi=
nt.

In the old days, main fast memory was called `core store'.  In this case=
,
the `k' comes from `kernel' and so the name is `kcore'.

All of the files within `/proc' are not real files--they don't exist
anywhere--they are generated in a virtual way by the kernel to allow you=
modify, access or change parameters are running.  For instance, doing:

  # cat /proc/filesystems

will tell you what filesystem types are compiled into the kernel which i=
knows how to access.

> It's size is 33689600.

I'm guessing you have 32MB of RAM?

        -Paul