[Nottingham] Linux not recognized/bootable after installation

Martin Waryniak nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Oct 6 20:54:01 2002

Hi,
first time i post on this list but i have following problem:

I installed redhat linux 7.3 successfully on my laptop, Toshiba Satelite
3000, 390Mb RAM, P3 850Mhz. I installed linux into the partition hda6,
with hda5 as swap drive, which i had previously created with partition
magic 7. I also use bootmagic as boot manager.. The installation went
smoothly until it was finished and the computer was rebotted. I tried
adding Linux to Bootmagic but it doesn't recognise a OS on the
partition. I added the partition anyway to the bottmanager but as
expected when i try booting linux nothing happenes. I remember that when
I picked the partition to install linux onto (mounting point / ) Redhat
warned me that this partition might not work properly and i should
create a boot partition. I didn't know what was meant by that so just
ignored it. It now turns out that i should have listened.
Can anyone help me with this problem? Should I create a separate /boot
partition?
The setup of my hardrive is as follows (total 20GB):
Primary                                c:             4GB
Logical partition                   d:             10GB
Log. partition Linux swap                     390MB
Log. Partition ext2                                4GB

I would be very grateful if someone could give me a hint how to get
linux working again.
Thank you very much,

Martin Waryniak
computer science