[Nottingham] Weird Stuff

Graeme Fowler nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Sep 6 16:46:00 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Mark Sheppard wrote:
> Interesting...  it's a 10.0.0.0 IP which shouldn't be seen on the net ever...
> Would suspect it's on NTL's network.  BTW I can ping it.

ISTR the 10.x.x.x ranges are those used by the 'setup' application NTL
give customers to, erm, setup their cable modem. That's what I got,
anyway. When I sneakily ran the setup application on my Mac, but connected
the Linux gateway machine to the cable modem... and ran a sniffer to see
what it did.

It changed ranges to a real one right at the end of the install process.

To quote the installer chap: "I'll give you this pack... <sees setup in
study> Oh. Tell you what: read that <points to booklet> and run that
<points to CD>. You'll know what to do." ;-)