[Nottingham] Installfest Proposal

Robert Postill nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Apr 10 11:06:00 2003

Hi,
At the last meeting I suggested we have an installfest.  I suggested we
might be able to use Green's Mill (here's a link for those of you so
Beeston-insular you may have forgotten what's in the city :)
http://www.greensmill.org.uk/).  It's small but that's OK as I doubt we
have the resources to collectively install 100 plus PCs simultaeneously.

I've just finished a quick e-mail discussion with the folks from the
Museum service who run the site and the deal is we can run soon with
little publicity or later with some publicity generated by the What's On
mag most of us should get through our door (the next What's on is out in
October) and any we can generate ourseleves (probably the preffered
option for me as the time can be spent generating other things like CDs
for taking home).  In that vein I'd like to propose some dates that we
could whittle down to between three and five likelies which I could take
back to the site manager.

So without further ado:
October 19th
October 26th
November 2nd
November 9th
November 16th
November 23rd
November 30th } These dates may conflict with people's xmas shopping
December 7th  } i.e. they might try to get a shiny new Time PC
December 14th } installed with Linux.

Apparently we may struggle to get the dates that co-incide with school
holidays (something I had initially favoured) but hopefully some of
those should be suitable for everyone.  Once a date's sorted I'll try
and organise a visit so people can get a feel of the site, my personal
estimate is about eight to twelve PCs will fit in there (power I'm not
sure about), which would seem like a goodly number, especially if
someone turns up with a 386PS/2 with MCA [shudder] :)

Finally, if you'd like to get involved, drop me a mail off-list, you'll
get on my good side quickly if you can get kit like monitors to the site
:)

Robert.