[Nottingham] Installfest Proposal

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Apr 10 15:15:00 2003

Duncan John Fyfe wrote:

 > On 10 Apr 2003, Robert Postill wrote:
 >> On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 13:02, Duncan John Fyfe wrote: Macs?  I'm
 >> not sure what I'd say if someone brandished an iMac at me.
 >
 > Try: "How many hours did you have this before it was made obsolete
 > by a cheaper model ?"
 >
 > or: "Only 2 days old and already unsupported by the latest OSX you
 > say ?"

Ooooer... Do I detect a little snobbishness from those that don't
appreciate why Apple Macs still exist?...

Macs are specially designed and marketed __NOT__ to be upgraded, so as
not to confuse the users or to trouble the support droids. To upgrade,
the marketing floozies sell you an __entire__ new system. Worked well
for IBM in decades gone past.

(Macs are good for users who just want to be able to reliably __use__
the things, and accept the restrictions and expense for the simple
familiarity and reliable useability.)

Linux is an interesting compromise between the windoze world and the mac
world in some respects.

Now then... Are there any Mac look-alike flavoured Linux distros/themes?
Or even a wine-like interface (mine? (:-))?

Regards,

martin@ml1.co.uk