usb to ide cable (was: [Nottingham] Installfest Proposal)

Martin Garton nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Apr 12 15:57:01 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, .waffle wrote:

> I've been waiting weeks, WEEKS I tell you. 3 (yes, that's right, three) were
> delivered on Wednesday (stock code A25AT). They're 29.99 and they're
> probably sold out by now.

Well, I managed to get one today from maplin (that last one I think!)
Have you managed to use it with linux though? I haven't got it working
yet. It sees the device as usb mass storage (as was expected) but gets i/o
errors when trying to read, so I can't mount, fdisk or anything. I've even
tried dd'ing randomly selected bits of the disc and it doesn't work :(

I tried a dvdrom instead and had the same problem. This time though the
drive didn't even spin up, and eventually I got a kernel panic. (I plan to
reproduce when not in X so I can see why)
This is all with redhat 8.0 + latest errata kernel.

I tried on my work laptop which also has WinXP on and it worked fine.

If you have had more success, would you mind telling me which distro and
kernel version did you use?