[Nottingham] Hello -- Naan

James Duncan nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 25 19:33:01 2003

Simon Osborne wrote:
> On Friday 25 Apr 2003 6:28 pm, Paul Sladen wibbled:
>
>>On 25 Apr 2003, Lee wrote:
>>
>>>It's at New Deal for Communities...in Radford...
>>>Please come and Eat All my food....
>>
>>Yes, I would love to.  What *time* does one turn up? ...
>>
>>	-Paul
>

> Time would be pretty useful yeah :)
>
> What is this NaaN anyway? Has it go anything to do with Indian bread?

Kinda - internet for less bread.  Please note I didn't make that joke(!).

> Simon

20:00 (or so).

The Naan Net is a 805.11g network that will cover Radford initially, but
like Linus, we have plans for world domination(!).

MEETING
The meeting is at the NDC building in Radford at 20:00 (thats 8 o'clock
at night for humans.   As Lee says, the NDC buildings a big one, you
can't miss it, its an office building opposite the Moog bar.

WEBSITE
I can't see that Lee has gone into too much detail so here is a link to
the homepage, and I have typed up some quick FAQs below (not on the site
yet.

Our current site is standards compliant but basic.  It is at
http://www.naan.org.uk/ so feel free to have a quick gander.  Is all
going well and should be up and *running soon* (imagine I had that boomy
voice like in the cinema :)).

INFO
What is the point of Naan Net?
-  Naan Net is supposed to improve the access to information for people
in the Radford area.  We will do this by making a local intranet that
stores local information and also has local e-mail*.

What can go on on Naan Net?
-  Hey baby, it's free range bandwidth.  This means that pretty much
anything that you can think of can go on - for instance I intend to host
a local Debian Sid repository.  Plans in the pipleine include...  IM on
a very fast local Jabber server, video streaming/conferencing, file
transfers (eg. your artwork, source code), free intranet hosting, and
maybe even a bit of Counterstrike ;).  Also maybe help with firewalls
etc if you buy one of us a beer.  Oh, an hopefully internal and external
VOIP.

How much will Naan Net cost?
-  The intranet is meant to be free - we will be suppling Naan Nodes at
first which also offer access.  Later people will be able to access the
network free after they purchase wireless cards.  It remains to be seen
how many free nodes we can fund.

What is a Naan Node?
-  A Naan Node is basically a wireless network link point that
intergrates into the general fabric of the Naan Net.  The Naan Net will
be based on mesh technologies so people hosting a node will be
propogating the network and increasing the overall bandwidth.  In
recognition of this we hope to make them free or nearly so.

How about general internet access?
-  We intend to buy bandwidth in bulk, and pass it along at cost.  This
is obviously quite a lot cheaper then NTL or BT will sell it to you at.
  Another thing that I am interested in is VOIP calls, and I am seeing
if we can negociate a good deal for outbound calls.

What else is good about the Naan Net?
-  It runs on Linux (Debian probably, advice always good if focused).
-  It is genuinely community based.
-  Don't you want to walk down the street with a bandwidth pipe fit for
a REAL matcho man?

*This email is having some filters written for it by me, Spam Nazi.
Suffice it to say that I intend to be the first ISP I know where you can
have your mail signed up to any blacklist of your choice.

END BIT
If you are interested feel free to mail me either on the list or not,
paticually if you live locally and are interested in hosting a Naan
Node.  Enthusiastic types who want to tell me what to do and get a
slightly mad gleam in the eye when they think of that 57Mb theoretical
max are very welcome, I was one of them!

Hope you haven't nodded off yet,

James   A.  Duncan
Personal Home Page: http://jduncan.is.dreaming.org/