TR: [Nottingham] Compiler problem - 2nd attempt

Bunter Matthew nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 29 08:49:01 2003

>> > Problem - Mandrake 8.2 when doing  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
>> > I get :
>> > C compiler cannot create executables
>> > It is a brand spanking new fresh install. Only modification I did was to
>> > change the time.

>> Make sure you have the correct permissions on /usr/bin/gcc or /usr/bin/cc
>> (or whichever flavour of gcc/cc is installed) to allow you, as a non-root
>> user, to run it.
>>
>> Even more pertinent: make sure it's installed!
>
>If it's tricky to post installation add all the packages required for
>'development' ie gcc, binutils, flex, bison etc, then you might find it worth
>trying distro produced rpm's of MySQL and a PHP enabled Apache.
>
>It should only take a few minutes to install those (once you've downloaded
>them and they're probably on your install CD anyway).  They're likely to work
>well enough to follow the book examples. The -ql option of rpm can show you
>the pathnames of files installed should you need them later.
>
>Rob

All,

rpm -q for glibc-devel and for gcc gives :

gcc-2.96-0.76mdk
glibc-devel-2.2.4-25mdk

an rpm -qa gives :

libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.76mdk
libstdc++2.10-devel-2.96-0.76mdk
libstdc++3.0-3.0.4-2mdk
libstdc++3.0-devel-3.0.4-2mdk

I've also checked our friend Google and can't find a definitive answer.

Permissions aren't a problem - I'm root.

Getting Libranet 2.7 soon, so hopefully this won't be a problem for long.
However I'm going to try and get a different version of gcc since the MySQL
site mentions NOT using 2.96

The reason I don't want to use the rpms is that in the book I mentioned he
has some options to the configure, both for mysql and for installing php.
I wanted to make sure that I had setup mysql and php the same as he suggests
in order to not have any problems in the future

Matt