[Nottingham] Re: Two X servers on one X client, previously (no subject)

David Bean nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 6 19:21:01 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 11:29, Jon Masters wrote:

> > Not sure if this is what you want, but take a look at something called
> > Xinerama.
>
> Hi,
>
> This is exactly what he will want though it does depend to some extent
> upon what hardware you have in the machine in question.

Not quite. I have two machines next to each other. One, silver, runs an
X client and an X server. The other, cream, runs an X server but
connects to the X client of silver:
   X -query silver
Xinerama, as far as I can tell, will only link two screens in one
machine to make a display, not link two displays in seperate machines.
What I want is to be able to see it like one big desktop, but from two
machines.

The reason I'm looking to do this is that some programs are too smart
for their own good. Galeon is one example. If I am logged into silver,
and an X terminal to silver from cream, galeon will not run on the
second display, only the first it is started on. (it communicates with
the running process and opens a new window)

David Bean